A Guide to this Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2016

Pre-Contact Aboriginal History

Map sourced from https://ears2theground.wordpress.com/about/
A lot of stuff I've been posting lately has been related to more senior subjects, like Modern History or Stage 5 English, so I thought I'd reach back into my earlier years and put up something from when I taught Year 8 History.

Contact and Colonisation is a fascinating and significant area of History, and continuing research into Indigenous history means our perspective of Australia's deep cultural heritage is always developing. Getting Stage 4 students to engage with the Aboriginal side of our country's history is not only relevant but incredibly valuable in terms of teaching cross-cultural pride as an intrinsic part of the Australian identity. 

The PowerPoint below deals with pre-contact Indigenous history in Australia. It's a four-slide PPT accompanied by a sheet. I haven't taught it for a few years due to not having had a Year 8 History class, but I do recall that it was sufficient enough to fill an hour-length lesson with a mixed ability Stage 4 group.

It's a pretty self-explanatory PPT, just put it up on the screen and move through it with the students. The blue text represents the activities that the students need to do, and the sheet goes with the middle slide (there's a picture of the sheet on said slide). 


I'd love to teach more in the way of pre-contact Aboriginal history but I sometimes find it hard to source material that's accessible to Stage 4 students. How do my fellow History teachers approach this area of history, especially since it's something that isn't tied so closely to written accounts?

No comments:

Post a Comment