A Guide to this Blog

Tuesday, August 23, 2016

What Could I Be Doing Differently?


Most of my blog tends to focus on the practical and pragmatic. Well, I at least hope that's the case - it's up to those of you who read it to decide if these lessons and resources have been practical. The point is that I like to focus on what it is that we, as teachers, can do in the classroom to make things run more efficiently and effectively. 

It's not a perfect world though, and things can and do occasionally go pear-shaped in the classroom. There's a tendency in teaching for people to externalise these issues and look for blame-factors - heck, it's something that lots of people do in life in general. I'm not saying that external factors don't exist but there's little point in stressing about what you cannot change.

Therefore, if something ever goes askew or wrong then I like to internalise the problem and look for what it is that I, the classroom teacher, could be doing differently to avoid or fix the situation. There are three things that I always come back to in my head, and they work like a mantra:
  1. If I don't like something, then I'm the only one who can fix it - and that extends to fixing my perception. I might just be looking at the whole situation the wrong way. What could I be doing differently?
  2. If I want something done the way I want it done, then I should do it myself. That's how things get done. No one else is going to do something for you, they have their own things to do.
  3. Don't ever ask anyone - parents, other teachers, students - to do something that I myself would not be prepared to do. 

I recently read 101 Answers for New Teachers and Their Mentors by Annette Breaux. It's a fantastically positive book for educators that has given me a whole bunch of great ideas and reaffirmed my teaching philosophy. I think that we all, at some level, want to be appreciated by our clientele - the students, the parents, and even the administrators/executive branch that we work for. It's their taxes that generate our salaries - we owe it to each of these groups to do a good job. 
At the end of 101 Answers is a section from one of Breaux's other books, Seven Simple Secrets, that details what makes for effective and appreciated teachers, and a lot of it just makes sense to me. I read over it and came up with this list on how I reinforce positive teaching practice:

Things that students like:
  • Teachers who are nice to them
  • Teachers who make learning fun
  • Teachers who help students succeed
  • Teachers who challenge students
  • Teachers who are clear and consistent with expectations 
  • Teachers who are willing to start each day afresh
  • Teachers who get to know their students as people
Things that parents like:
  • When teachers treat their child as fairly as we would treat our own
  • Teachers who do their best to keep them informed
  • When teachers make an effort to communicate positively
  • When teachers listen to what they have to say 
  • Teachers who never give up on their child
  • Teachers who challenge students while making learning fun 
Things that the executive like:
  • Teachers who prepare their lessons well before they teach them
  • Teachers who handle their own discipline problems
  • Teachers that make decisions based on what's best for students
  • Teachers who maintain professionalism when interacting with non-administrators (parents, students, other teachers)
  • Teachers who continue to educate themselves
  • Teachers who manage their classroom efficiently 
  • Teachers who treat every child with respect and dignity
  • Teachers who cater for all stakeholders 
I'm not saying that I'm a great teacher, but I think that if I continue to work on doing each of these things to the best of my ability then I'm going to get there eventually. We can always be better at what we do.

I realise that not every teacher reading this will be willing to focus their frustrations entirely on themselves but I figure that there's more than enough negative stuff out there so a little bit of positive practicality can't go astray.

No comments:

Post a Comment