A Guide to this Blog

Sunday, March 3, 2019

Hag-Seed: Textual Conversations with The Tempest

I'm about mid-way through teaching Module A: Textual Conversations to Year 12 Advanced English and, in light of its newness, it's pretty much a case of so-far, so-good. A little while ago I put up an annotated Tempest as a starting point for the module but I'm acutely aware that this only approximately accounts for half of what students need to cover in having their 'textual conversations'. Without replicating the entire text like what has been done with The Tempest above, annotating a novel can be a little more challenging. 

Margaret Atwood's Hag-Seed is a wonderfully layered and highly accessible text that both remakes and comments on Shakespeare's The Tempest. The document below works as both a series of annotations and a study guide for students who are looking to draw connections between Hag-Seed and its progenitor. In said document:
  • The first column covers quotes and examples from Hag-Seed
  • The second column identifies techniques used by Atwood in relation to the example, allowing for students to build metalanguage and/or analyse authorial purpose and effective construction of language.
  • The third column directs the reader to make comparisons or recognise the significance of the example in relation to the module. 
I've included some questions for students outlined in bold; about a couple per page in the third column. I've told my class that, in revising Hag-Seed as the HSC approaches, that they should aim to work their way through this study guide's questions throughout the remainder of the school year.

Anyway, here it is: Hag-Seed Study Guide.

Disclaimer: please excuse any typos or mistakes, it's a first draft. I'll revise it again when I teach it a second time.

15 comments:

  1. You're amazing, Luke. I really appreciate what you've done here. (How do you find the time? I'm super impressed!)
    Thank you very much for sharing your great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was amazing, thank you! I had been slowly putting together a quotes and explanation page but this far surpasses my early attempts!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much Luke. I am a current Year 12 student and your resources have helped me so so much! My current English teacher has done absolutely nothing with helping the students within my class (including myself) and has been handing out your resources with no extra support backing it. I will be doing all of your COW activities that you have posted as we have not done any this whole year. Thank you again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much Luke! Cannot express how helpful this synthesis of QTE's (Quote, Technique, Effects) chart has been! I will be extensively incorporating many of these into my upcoming assessment regarding Textual Conversations between The Tempest and Hag-Seed. Cheers!!! - Jack

    ReplyDelete
  5. a life saver. thnk u so much for this!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Legend! An actual life saver :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So thankful to you in creating this guide. I have really been struggling in synthesising a coherent understanding of this module, this guide has laid it out so well. Thank you endlessly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is literally so so so amazing, saved my HSC! Thankyou so much you're a lifesaver.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bro this is actually so helpful, like I was clueless before but this has really helped me get a better understanding

    ReplyDelete
  12. BLESS YOUR SOUL

    ReplyDelete